Volvo S60 Detailing project Part 7

The real work begins

Today I gave the car a much needed wash so that I could get the car ready for polishing.

img_3355

img_3356

img_3358

Not bad.  There are a lot of tar spots on the wheels so I’ll need to clean them again.  Some new wheel bolts are in order as these ones are rusty.  I like these wheels a lot and they look good when they’re clean, which they almost never are.

img_3359

img_3362

This car hasn’t had a bath like this in a long time.  The foam cannon is great and I’m using Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam car shampoo.  All the products I’m using I’ve purchased myself.

img_3366

With the car washed and dried, it was time to remove dirt and contaminants from the surface of the paint with a clay bar.  I’m using a Simoniz clay bar kit because it was on sale.  That bar won’t be blue for long!

img_3367

img_3368

Just as predicted.  Not exactly sure what I removed from the surface of the paint, but it was black and greasy.  Good to get that removed.

img_3370

Then it was time to test out a section of paint to get an idea of how it responds to the cutting compound and cutting pad, starting at a slow speed and slowly increasing while checking the results regularly.  I’m using Meguiar’s Ultra-Cut Compound as well as their cutting pad on my dual action polisher.  Meguiar’s makes this compound in 2 versions; one is for rotary polishers and the one I bought is for dual action polishers so make sure you get the correct one.

img_3371

Starting with a small section of the trunk.  You can see all the light scratches and swirls.

img_3373

The rear section of the trunk lid is plastic so I taped it off because it will need to be polished at a lower speed to prevent it from getting too hot from the polisher.

img_3369img_3379

Sadly, my effort to show the polished and unpolished sides of the trunk for comparison failed because I was outside.  The crappy paint on the right is reflecting almost as much as the polished paint on the left and you can barely see any difference.

img_3382

The contrast here is a bit easier to see – on the lower plastic portion at least.

img_3383

Polishing the plastic portion of the trunk brought the shine back but it also revealed this.  I thought they were scratches at first but it looks like the paint is cracking.  Not sure how to address this yet.

img_3384

Hard to notice any difference here between the completed side and the bad side.  Nice reflection though.  I will take photos of the paint indoors from now on.

The paint on the car is also covered in little blobs of pine tree sap which I need to remove before I can continue with the paint correction.  This sap is really nasty, very sticky and a pain to remove.  And it’s everywhere.

So for the next part in this series, I hope to be able to show you much better before and after photos of the paint.

Thanks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s